List:       openjdk-hotspot-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8279573: compiler/codecache/CodeCacheFullCountTest.java fails with "RuntimeException: the v
From:       Coleen Phillimore <coleenp () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2022-02-28 16:39:46

On Mon, 28 Feb 2022 16:26:35 GMT, Coleen Phillimore <coleenp@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > This change adds a conditional to make -XX:-UseCodeCacheFlushing not flush the \
> > code cache so that the test passes on loom.  It also makes full_count atomic so \
> > that the test in codeCache for printing is correct.  This change also fixes the \
> > test because the full_count field and the message printing are not synchronized, \
> > so you can get 2 or more depending on the number of compiler threads. Tested with \
> > tier1-3 on linux and windows x64.
>
> Coleen Phillimore has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional \
> commit since the last revision:
> I misunderstood the UseCodeCacheFlushing flag and make it act like MethodFlushing, \
> which is a whole different flag.  Using MethodFlushing instead in the test makes it \
> pass on loom and mainline.

Thanks Tobias.  Erik asked me off PR why this UseCodeCacheFlushing flag didn't \
disable the NMethodSweeper completely, since I made it disable flushing methods.  \
Which made me aware of another flag that does what this test should want:

  product(bool, MethodFlushing, true,                                       \
          "Reclamation of zombie and not-entrant methods")                  \

vs.

  product(bool, UseCodeCacheFlushing, true,                                 \
          "Remove cold/old nmethods from the code cache")                   \

The latter flag disables removing cold methods from the code cache, where the former \
disables flushing.  I fixed the test to use MethodFlushing instead and verified that \
it passes on Loom and mainline.