List:       openjdk-hotspot-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8014074: Building hotspot with ccache in new build is very slow with empty cache.
From:       Erik Joelsson <erik.joelsson () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-05-27 8:08:36

On 2013-05-27 05:11, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> I have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand I don't like the
> idea that using/not-using an optimization like ccache, changes the way
> the build of hotspot is carried out. On the other hand, if this means
> we will do more builds without precompiled headers then it should help
> trap errors when there are missing #includes.
I agree, and it feels weird to me too. Precompiled header is also a kind
of build optimization, though more intrusive than ccache. I was even
more annoyed at the long build times when the cache didn't give any hits
though.

> Does this have any impact on our actual RE builds?
I do not know if they have ccache installed and available on their
machines. My guess is that if it is, it's by accident. We could instruct
them to add --disable-ccache to make sure they don't accidentally pick
it up. I could also readd and fix the support for precompiled header
together with ccache and add another option for it.

/Erik