List:       openjdk-hotspot-dev
Subject:    Second Zero review request
From:       Thomas.Rodriguez () Sun ! COM (Tom Rodriguez)
Date:       2009-09-30 21:57:51

I'm looking through these changes right now but I finally looked into
getting the arch into the build directory name.  Basically I added an
extra variable called VARIANTARCH that is used to override BUILDARCH
in PLATFORM_DIR and modified the zero build rules to use ZERO_LIBARCH
for this.  This results in linux_i386_zero for example, so it won't
use the same arch names as regular hotspot builds since they use i486
for historical reasons but it's a more accurate naming than zero_zero.

I also found that I couldn't build zero by simply cd'ing to make/linux
and type make jvmgzero (plus all the required ZERO_ defs) as I would
expect.  The reason is that the code that generates platform_zero
refers to OUTPUTDIR which doesn't mean anything unless you invoke make
from make/Makefile.  It has a value but that value isn't the
necessarily the actual output directory.  The platform makefiles
always build in the current directory so simply removing $(OUTPUTDIR)
for that platform_zero rule allows it to work as expected and
shouldn't change it's behaviour since OUTPUTDIR is always equivalent
to pwd.  I've attached a patch that does both the VARIANTARCH changes
and the platform_zero changes.  I was able to build successfully with
both make/Makefile and make/linux/Makefile producing linux_i386_zero
as the build directory.  You might consider making the generated
platform file be platform_zero_$(ZERO_LIBARCH) instead of just the
bare platform_zero.

Unfortunately the bits crashed when running Queens but that happened
with or without my changes.  The make command I issued was:

make ZERO_ARCHDEF=IA32 ZERO_BUILD=true ZERO_LIBARCH=i386
ZERO_ENDIANNESS=little ARCH_DATA_MODEL=32 ZERO_ARCHFLAG=-m32 jvmgzero
LIBFFI_LIBS=-lffi

This is the crash message.

cd linux_i386_zero/jvmg && ./test_gamma
java full version "1.6.0_14-b08"
# To suppress the following error report, specify this argument
# after -XX: or in .hotspotrc:  SuppressErrorAt=/
bytecodeInterpreter.cpp:427
#
#
#  Internal Error (/home/never/hotspot/src/share/vm/interpreter/
bytecodeInterpreter.cpp:427), pid=9886, tid=1082800448
#  Error: assert(istate->_stack_limit == istate->_thread-
 >last_Java_sp() + 1,"wrong")
#
# JRE version: 6.0_14-b08
# Java VM: OpenJDK Zero VM (17.0-b01-internal-jvmg interpreted mode
linux-i386 )
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/never/hotspot/make/linux/linux_i386_zero/jvmg/hs_err_pid9886.log
#
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
Dumping core ...
Aborted
make: *** [jvmgzero] Error 134

I can provide more details if that's useful.

tom