List:       openjdk-graal-dev
Subject:    Early Access Metropolis Builds with libgraal
From:       Vladimir Kozlov <vladimir.kozlov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-03-11 20:18:38

The goal of Metropolis Project is to explore and incubate advanced
"Java-on-Java" implementation techniques for HotSpot. Our starting point
is for using the Graal JIT compiler and AOT static compilation technology
to replace C2 server compiler, and possibly other components of HotSpot.

Early Access OpenJDK binaries that include Graal JIT compiler in
form of native library (libjvmcicompiler.so) are now available for
download (the download page has a link to the libgraal JEP). [1]

The release of Early Access builds does not indicate anything about the
project's readiness or status other than us wanting to solicit feedback
from a wider set of users. The best way to help is to download the Early
Access binaries, try it out, and report about your experience.

We are mostly interested in feedback on the following:

  - Reliability: how stable these binaries
  - Performance: what is your performance experience with these binaries

Bug reports are welcome. If you encounter a bug, please report it to this
mailing list. There are already known issues which are recorded in JBS
with labels: libgraal, metropolis. We are working on them.

Native Graal is used by default instead of C2 in these binaries -
no need to specify any VM flags on command line to enable it.

Binaries are based on Metropolis repository [2] which is synced with
JDK 14 sources on Feb 6, 2020.

Graal code is based on GraalVM CE version of Graal. It was last synced
to JDK 14 on Dec 19, 2019 [3].

Your feedback on the experience of using libgraal will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Vladimir Kozlov

[1] https://jdk.java.net/metropolis/
[2] https://github.com/openjdk/metropolis.git