List:       openjdk-core-libs-dev
Subject:    RFR: 8308033: The jcmd thread dump related tests should test virtual threads
From:       Jaikiran Pai <jpai () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-04-30 9:59:25

Can I please get a review of these test-only changes which proposes to remove the \
`test/jdk/sun/tools/jcmd/JcmdOutputEncodingTest.java` and \
`test/jdk/sun/tools/jstack/BasicJStackTest.java` tests from \
`ProblemList-Virtual.txt`?

When jtreg was enhanced to allow running the tests from within a virtual (main) \
thread, some tests were problem listed since they either were failing at that time or \
the test code would require additional work to make it work when the current thread \
is a virtual thread. The `test/jdk/sun/tools/jcmd/JcmdOutputEncodingTest.java` and \
`test/jdk/sun/tools/jstack/BasicJStackTest.java` are 2 such threads which require \
special handling when the current thread is a virtual thread.

`test/jdk/sun/tools/jcmd/JcmdOutputEncodingTest.java` has been updated to use a \
different command to dump stacktraces when the test runs in a virtual thread. I went \
back and looked at the original issue for which this test was introduced and based on \
that, using a different command to dump the stacktraces shouldn't impact what the \
test was originally intended to test.

`test/jdk/sun/tools/jstack/BasicJStackTest.java` has been updated to be skipped when \
the current thread is the virtual thread. This is because the test exercises the \
`jstack` tool which doesn't print stacktraces of virtual threads and thus the test \
isn't applicable for virtual threads.

I've run these tests with this change, both with platform threads and virtual threads \
in our CI and the tests complete without failures.

Commit messages:
 - 8308033: The jcmd thread dump related tests should test virtual threads

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/19016/files
  Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=19016&range=00
  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8308033
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/19016/head:pull/19016