List:       openjdk-core-libs-dev
Subject:    Re: [BUG] Inet6Address.isIPv4CompatibleAddress uses wrong prefix
From:       Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-06-25 6:37:05

On 24/06/2019 21:57, Rob Spoor wrote:
> I found a bug in Inet6Adress.isIPv4CompatibleAddress(). While parsing
> correctly uses the ::ffff:<IPv4> format, isIPv4CompatibleAddress()
> checks for ::<IPv4> instead.
The notion "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" is different to "IPv4-mapped
IPv6 address".   I think the RFCs on the IPv6 addressing architecture
deprecated the former a long time ago and maybe isIPv4CompatibleAddress
should be deprecated too. The net-dev mailing list is the best place to
discuss this topic (which is timely as there seems to be interest there
in recent time to improve the IPv6 support).

-Alan.