List:       openjdk-compiler-dev
Subject:    Re: Optimization 2.0 for composing strings - Was: Replace concat String to append in StringBuilder p
From:       Sergey Bylokhov <Sergey.Bylokhov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-09-09 11:47:50

On 08.09.2014 22:53, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> Sergey,
>
> Many of the suggestions in the webrev change the semantics of the
> code, and so would not be appropriate for javac to perform automagically.
It is changed but I guess it is safe otherwise this ccan be a problem in
the fix, but the fix still under review.
> Analyzing the flow to determine it is safe to mutate sb in the face of
> possible exceptions coming out of methods like htmlize is more than it
> would be reasonable to do in javac.  For example, what if the for loop
> were in a try block and the try block referenced sb?
It depends how many man's time spend on such changes, which can be done
by the javac itself. I see that there is a lot of review requests to
make some small micro/size optimizations, which can be done automatically.

--
Best regards, Sergey.