List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8328999: Update GIFlib to 5.2.2
From:       Alexander Zvegintsev <azvegint () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-04-30 21:35:55

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 18:46:51 GMT, Alisen Chung <achung@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > The GIFLIB version 5.2.2 adds the `ifndef` wrap, and it is no longer the "JDK \
> > modification", so it looks like our comment can be removed
>
> does this also apply for the other JDK modification for old compilers as well?

Regarding the `JDK modifications to support building using old compilers` from \
`gif_lib.h`:

I found my old [review \
request](https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/awt-dev/2015-April/009269.html), that \
mentioned [why](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8548521/trying-to-use-include-stdbool-h-in-vs-2010/8549206) \
these changes were added (because of the issue with VS 2010).

However, this issue [should be fixed as of VS 2013](
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/c99-library-support-in-visual-studio-2013/).

So you should probably check the build without these changes, and if it works fine, \
remove them.

The only concern is if some of the JDKs we are going to backport this upgrade use VS \
below 2013 (I am not sure if we have any), but I think we can bring our fix back to \
the specific backport.