List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8329340: Remove unused libawt code
From:       Daniel =?UTF-8?B?SmVsacWEc2tp?= <djelinski () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-03-30 8:37:30

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:51:25 GMT, Phil Race <prr@openjdk.org> wrote:

> About the WM_AWT messages, how did these tools you mention figure out no message of \
> that name / ID is ever created ?
I presume that's what you must have done to decide it is OK to remove the handling of \
these messages.

Well, that part was actually me. The linker reported that `AwtObject::WinThreadExec` \
was unused; while removing it, I found that `WM_AWT_EXECUTE_SYNC` is no longer \
needed, so I removed it as well. Then I figured that there may be other left over \
WM_AWT messages, so I checked the entire enum in awtmsg.h. I removed every enum \
constant that was never used outside of the WIN_MSG macro or a case label.

I checked the history for some of the messages; WM_AWT_FORWARD_BYTE was last used \
before e4f977c0a1663dd71aa19019d55b07d87ad667e2, and the last use of \
WM_AWT_SHOWCURSOR / WM_AWT_HIDECURSOR was removed in \
e4c9db984fe1a3a9d06fb60e333e92df3b165454. WM_AWT_SET_SCROLL_INFO was not used \
anywhere in git history. The other removed enums aren't used anywhere.