List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8185862: AWT Assertion Failure in ::GetDIBits(hBMDC, hBM, 0,  1, 0, gpBitmapInfo, 0) 'awt_W
From:       Christoph Langer <clanger () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2024-01-31 7:29:03

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 07:23:13 GMT, Christoph Langer <clanger@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > The assertions reported in the bug were observed spuriously and here and there \
> > broke tests in some Windows configurations. For instance \
> > [JDK-8266129](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8266129), \
> > [JDK-8269529](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8269529) or \
> > [JDK-8323664](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8323664) came up due to this.
> > The problem is that in Windows environments without a valid display, e.g. started \
> > by system services or via PowerShell Remoting, one sees a Monitor with name \
> > 'Windisc' in `EnumDisplayMonitors`. However, it seems to be some kind of a pseudo \
> > device where you can not get a DC via `CreateDC`. This behavior/monitor type \
> > doesn't seem to be well documented, though.
> > I hereby modify the device initialization code to only count/detect monitors \
> > where CreateDC returns non-NULL in Devices.cpp. I also add some more \
> > checking/error handling to AwtWin32GraphicsDevice::Initialize() for correctness.
> > Furthermore, I re-enable the test \
> > `javax/swing/reliability/HangDuringStaticInitialization.java` for Windows Debug \
> > VMs, which reverts the fix from JDK-8269529 that should not be necessary any \
> > more.
>
> Christoph Langer has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional \
> commit since the last revision:
> Add comments

I added a comment to explain that we skip monitors where CreateDC fails.

The fix runs successfully through SAP's testing with no regressions spotted. Looks \
like it even fixes the problems of \
test/jdk/java/awt/font/GlyphVector/LayoutCompatTest.java on Windows that we reported \
in the comments of https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8318364.

@prrace  Want to take a look here (or assign somebody from client group)? Thanks!