List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8311585: Add JRadioButtonMenuItem to bug8031573.java [v4]
From:       Rajat Mahajan <rmahajan () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-08-31 19:08:02

On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:57:17 GMT, Harshitha Onkar <honkar@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > > @aivanov-jdk I tried it on my High DPI Windows monitor but with scale set to \
> > > 100% and that threw the skipped exception. I know by default we always have \
> > > some scale setting on Windows for High DPI Monitors, but do we expect such a \
> > > scenario? , just making sure before we add this.
> >
> > It's expected, isn't it? High DPI basically refers to the scale > 100%. You, as \
> > the user, are free to set the scale to 100% even though Windows recommends 150% \
> > or higher; just as you're free to set the scale to a value higher than the \
> > recommended one.
> > Whether we want it or not is up for discussion. That's what I meant by
> >
> > > On the other hand, the second case is applicable even if the main display isn't \
> > > a High DPI one.
> >
> > Originally, the test was intended to run on *Retina displays **only*** which \
> > correspond to the scale of 200% in Windows environment.
> > You and I used this test to verify rendering of the check or radio marks when you \
> > worked on [JDK-8294427](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8294427). With that \
> > fix, a new scenario was added to the test: change the scale of the monitor or \
> > move the window to another monitor with a different scale and verify that the \
> > check or radio marks are rendered crisply.
> > If the instructions are written as they are now, we can verify whether the main \
> > display is in High DPI mode or not and skip the test accordingly. Otherwise, the \
> > user needs to click Pass which gives the wrong idea that the test passed, but the \
> > test wasn't run as intended.
> > Then, on a Windows system, it's possible to change the scale even if the current \
> > one is 100%.
> > On the other hand, spelling all the cases in the instructions could make them \
> > unclear, which means we lose the test altogether.
> > Any other opinions? What do you think, @honkar-jdk?
>
> @aivanov-jdk @rajamah Both your points seem to be valid. On one hand the condition \
> might not cover all the cases as stated by @rajamah. When we have dual-monitor \
> setup, the main or default one needs to be a High DPI one to proceed with the \
> testing, correct?  But then again adding the condition that @aivanov-jdk  suggested \
> ensures that the user has the correct display setting to proceed with the test.
> Perhaps adding a note at the end of the test instructions about HiDPI and \
> single/multi-screen requirements can add clarity along with the condition?

I think this instruction looks a bit confusing to me - **"If the display does not \
support HiDPI mode press PASS.\n"** @honkar-jdk What kind of instruction would you \
suggest we add?  As @aivanov-jdk mentioned earlier, the instructions to cover all \
cases might be too much of an overload leading to confusion.