List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: RFR: 8294535 : Add screen capture functionality to PassFailJFrame
From:       Alexey Ivanov <aivanov () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2023-05-26 19:45:54

On Fri, 26 May 2023 19:30:36 GMT, Harshitha Onkar <honkar@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > If the displayed message isn't modal, like a tooltip or a notification which \
> > disappears automatically after a certain time, it could be better appreciated. \
> > But it's harder to implement.
>
> We could use Timer for disappearing messages, but might be an overkill here.

How else could one implement a disappearing message?

This approach still shows a *modal* dialog box. While it's shown the user can't do \
anything but dispose the dialog.

In my opinion, if we show the dialog, let the user to dismiss it.

The message confirming screenshots are successfully taken should be non-intrusive, it \
may be displayed in a small (translucent) window close to the button which will \
automatically disappear after a specified timeout. An option to dismiss it before the \
timeout is even better. Yet it shouldn't prevent access to other UI elements so that \
the tester could click Fail right away.

However, I may be overthinking it… Implementing such a UI is likely an overkill.

Yet I'm still not convinced a modal dialog box is needed. Consider seeing a modal \
dialog box that says "File has been saved successfully" each time you select Save \
command in a text editor or any other editor. You expect it to succeed, thus \
notification is need only if an error occurred. As the result of the error message, \
you'll try saving the file again.