List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: Kindly request your attention for a really annoying visual Java bug on Linux Mint
From:       Aleksei Ivanov <alexey.ivanov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2022-01-24 19:33:52

Hello Stefan,

On 23/01/2022 18:44, Stefan Reich wrote:
> Hello Alexey,
>
> thanks a lot for investigating and submitting the bug. I don't think I
> can sign up at bugs.openjdk.java.net <http://bugs.openjdk.java.net>
> directly, right?

No, you can't.

You can submit a bug report using https://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/
After evaluation, the bug will be moved to JBS at
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/

> I have also done some further testing, for example on an older version
> of Peppermint Linux (also on my ThinkPad). Same kind of errors appear.
> So it doesn't seem related to the flavor of Linux used.

Thank you for additional testing and for confirming other flavours of
Linux are affected.

> I have also tried the source code you produced. It gives the same
> artifacts as my original version.

That's good. At least, the modified test reproduces the same problem.

> > Perhaps, the calculation of the grid has an error or something like
> that.
>
> I challenge you to show me the bug in that 10 line function... ^^
> (Don't think the problem is in there)

It's not the case. I referred to the change of colour that I saw. I
posted in my comment: While all the windows were created as one go on
the EDT, each window was displayed with the right colour initially. Once
the EDT got unblocked, I saw something like animation where the window
tiles on the screen changed colours. The colours remained stable
afterwards. This effect made me think there could be something going on
with the coordinates.

However, it looks as if processing of some events makes the windows
change the colour.

A better test would be to create one window in the area that gets darker
and see what events it receives. Another thing I'd verify is the number
of the paint events. The window is neither opaque nor transparent. If
it's painted several times, the same background colour could be painted
over the existing colour, thus the window could become darker with each
paint. It's a wild guess, it could be misleading yet it's worth checking.

> Originally I had simply tried to make a JWindow covering the whole
> second screen and it was completely opaque. That's how I discovered
> the bug in the first place.
>
> So... judging from the official bug report it seems this is being
> investigated by the proper "authorities", right? That's a very good
> result for now.

It's assigned to an engineer. That's all to it at this very moment.

If you can help with pinpointing the root cause or provide the fix for
the problem, your help and contribution will be appreciated.

Regards,
Alexey