List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8260931: Implement JEP 382: New macOS Rendering Pipeline [v9]
From:       Ajit Ghaisas <aghaisas () openjdk ! java ! net>
Date:       2021-02-21 18:39:23

> **Description :**
> This is the implementation of [JEP 382 : New macOS Rendering \
> Pipeline](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8238361) It implements a Java 2D \
> internal rendering pipeline for macOS using the Apple Metal API. The entire work on \
> this was done under [OpenJDK Project - \
> Lanai](http://openjdk.java.net/projects/lanai/)
> We iterated through several Early Access (EA) builds and have reached a stage where \
> it is ready to be integrated to openjdk/jdk. The latest EA build is available at - \
> https://jdk.java.net/lanai/
> A new option -Dsun.java2d.metal=true | True needs to be used to use this pipeline.
>
> **Testing :**
> This implementation has been tested with the tests present at - [Test Plan for JEP \
> 382: New macOS Rendering \
> Pipeline](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8251396)
> **Note to reviewers :**
> 1) Default rendering pipeline on macOS has not been changed by this PR. OpenGL \
> still stays as the default rendering pipeline and Metal rendering pipeline is \
> optional to choose.
> 2) To apply and test this PR -
> To enable the metal pipeline you must specify on command line \
> -Dsun.java2d.metal=true (No message will be printed in this case) or \
> -Dsun.java2d.metal=True (A message indicating Metal rendering pipeline is enabled \
> gets printed)
> 3) Review comments (including some preliminary informal review comments) are \
> tracked with JBS issues - https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/issues/?filter=40598

Ajit Ghaisas has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a \
rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the \
merge/rebase. The pull request contains 29 additional commits since the last \
revision:

 - Lanai PR#199 - 8262091 - aghaisas
 - Lanai PR#198 - 8261646 - avu
 - Lanai PR#197 - 8261960 - jdv
 - Lanai PR#196 - 8260715 - avu
 - Lanai PR#195 - 8261908 - jdv
 - Lanai PR#194 - 8261703 - jdv
 - Lanai PR#193 - 8261734 - avu
 - Lanai PR#192 - 8261789 - aghaisas
 - Merge branch 'master' into 8260931_lanai_JEP_branch
 - Lanai PR#191 - 8261705 - jdv
 - ... and 19 more: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/compare/b17c91cb...614be056

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/2403/files/7b0b0dc4..614be056

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=2403&range=08
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=2403&range=07-08

  Stats: 11833 lines in 292 files changed: 8413 ins; 2170 del; 1250 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/2403/head:pull/2403