List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8241493 [macos] Swing PrintDialog attributes issues
From:       Philip Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2020-04-10 16:54:39

Could you describe here the ideas behind your fix and what the
implications are

1) I'm sure I've seen printers that describe the same paper size by
multiple names.
Why is it a problem here ? If it is because we have the same display
name, is that
just for known standard sizes ? Can we get the printer's display name
for this ?

2) You are changing what is in "asCurrent", so if the user switches back to
the printer supporting duplex that is lost. I think in other cases we
update the display but not the current attribute set.
So are you swapping one anomaly for another ? What is the user model ?

Suppose printer 1 supports all 3, printer 2 supports ONE_SIDED and DUPLEX,
but not TUMBLE. User selects TUMBLE on printer 1, switches to printer 2,
what should they see ? Probably the default for that printer, but no need
to update asCurrent, since if they print the attribute is ignored anyway
But doing it that way if they switch back to printer 1, lo and behold, we
still have TUMBLE. The catch is that the user may in fact be surprised
by that.

Paper too has the same issue. If you have a printer supporting A3, and
switch
a one that doesn't support it, do we update the aset. If we do it for SIDES,
we should do it there too.

And what happens if you use the native dialog instead ?

So if you are touching this you need to examine the whole picture first.

-phil.