List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [13] Review Request: 8225372 accessibility errors in tables in java.desktop files
From:       Sergey Bylokhov <Sergey.Bylokhov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2019-06-12 5:29:41

Hello.
Please review the fix for JDK 13.

Fix: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/webrev.00
Doc: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/docs/api/java.desktop/module-summary.html

In the fix, some(most) of the issues which were reported by the accessibility checker \
were fixed.

Changes description:

  - In the simplest case, the "scope=col/row" attribute was added to the tables:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/webrev.00/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/plaf/synth/doc-files/componentProperties.html.sdiff.html

  - The tables which are used for a layout were replaced by the <div>.(In fact, this \
                is just emulation of <figure>):
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/webrev.00/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/swing/JScrollPane.java.sdiff.html

  - Some tables do not have the meaningful cell to be row header, so I have added an \
                additional column "index" and use it cells as row header:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/webrev.00/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/imageio/metadata/doc-files/gif_metadata.html.sdiff.html

  - In one place I have added a special role to the table "role=presentation" because \
the table was used just for layout and its content can be read without information \
                about this table:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/docs/api/java.desktop/java/awt/doc-files/Modality.html#Examples

  - In some cases I have dropped the table, and replace it by the list of elements:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/webrev.00/src/java.desktop/share/classes/javax/print/attribute/standard/Finishings.java.sdiff.html

      New: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/docs/api/java.desktop/javax/print/attribute/standard/Finishings.html

      Old: https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.desktop/javax/print/attribute/standard/Finishings.html

Note that I cannot fix two reported issues:
    Take a look to the "Common dialog" and "HTML Content of example above" on the \
                links below:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/docs/api/java.desktop/javax/swing/JOptionPane.html

      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8225372/docs/api/java.desktop/javax/swing/text/html/HTMLDocument.html

I tried to mark these tables as "role=presentation" or "aria-hidden=true", but it \
does not work because Javadoc tool generates HTML4 and these attributes are supported \
by the HTML5.

--
Best regards, Sergey.