List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR(S): 8214343: Handle the absence of Xrandr more generically
From:       Volker Simonis <volker.simonis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-03-12 17:37:52

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 5:38 AM Sergey Bylokhov
<Sergey.Bylokhov@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi, Volker.
>
> On 27/11/2018 05:52, Volker Simonis wrote:
> > Change JDK-8213944 fixed the build on AIX (which has no Xrandr) by
> > conditionally excluding the relevant parts on AIX with the help of
> > preprocessor defines. On the mailing lists the wish was expressed to
> > handle the absence of Xrandr more generically during the configure
> > step, so here comes the corresponding change.
>
> I am working on the fix for the multiscreen support in jdk,
> currently our code is based on the xinerama and has some issues. I have an
> option to migrate to xrandr.
>
> Can you please provide some info about xinerama support in the AIX or
> it is unsupported in the same way as xrandr?

Hi Sergey,

yes, the good thing is that AIX has xinerama support, at least
client-side (I don't know if the native Xserver is really supporting
it but I don't think that many people are really sitting in front of
an AIX server nowadays anyway :).

The bad thing is that the xinerama support apparently never ever
really worked on AIX. I've opened "8220528: [AIX] Fix basic Xinerama
functionality" (https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8220528) for
it and will post a fix tomorrow.

Thank you and best regards,
Volker