List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Setting the FreeType LCD filter
From:       John Neffenger <john () status6 ! com>
Date:       2018-10-18 4:38:13

On 10/16/18 2:29 PM, Philip Race wrote:
> Anyway I pushed the fix earlier today.

Thank you very much, Phil, for reading over my long problem description
and getting a fix into the JDK so quickly.

This fix, plus the change in FreeType 2.8 that makes light hinting the
new normal for regular LCD displays, trigger a bunch of good things in
text rendering on Linux. [1] Fonts really don't get any better than that
right now — on any platform — so thank you.

The irony is, just as Linux gets state-of-the-art native font hinting
and subpixel anti-aliasing, Apple decides none of it is worth the
complexity anymore and simply removes it! [2]

John

[1] https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/text-rendering-general.html
[2] https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/209/?time=1683