List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Crash in CGraphicsDevice.m
From:       Bill York <Bill.York () mathworks ! com>
Date:       2018-10-12 18:46:40

Thanks Sergey.

On 10/11/18, 5:43 PM, "Sergey Bylokhov" <Sergey.Bylokhov@oracle.com> wrote:

    Hi, Bill.

    The similar bug was reported recently:

    The root cause is how we use CoreGraphics display ID. This identifier can become \
non-valid at any time therefore methods, which is using this id should be ready to \
it.
    And this bug found a few places which does not take care about the rule above.

    I am working on the fix for jdk12.

    On 10/10/2018 08:45, Bill York wrote:
    > 2d-dev folks,
    >
    > I work on a product called MATLAB and we have about 60 reports from customers \
on Mac related to a crash in CGraphicsDevice.m  >
    > Please let  me know if this is the right way to report a crash and discuss \
getting it resolved.  >
    > Here are the details:
    >
    > CGraphicsDevice.m is a native file in support of Java drawing and gets called \
from Java_sun_awt_CGraphicsDevice_nativeGetDisplayMode  >
    > While I can't reproduce the problem, it looks like the display pointer is \
becoming invalid for a time when the user's laptop opens or closes.  >
    > Looking at this source code:
    >
    > http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~serb/8000629/webrev.08/src/macosx/native/sun/awt/CGraphicsDevice.m.html
  >
    > I see a direct call to CFStringCompare without a check for a NULL CFStringRef.
    >
    >   * (CFStringCompare(mode, CFSTR(kIO30BitDirectPixels), \
kCFCompareCaseInsensitive) == kCFCompareEqualTo)  >
    > I believe if this code returned 0, the crash would not occur though there may \
be some other cleanup in the surrounding call frames.  >

    --
    Best regards, Sergey.