List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR(xxxs): 8200052: libjavajpeg: Fix compile warning in jchuff.c
From:       Thomas_Stüfe <thomas.stuefe () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-03-27 18:39:59

Hi Phil,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:44 PM, Phil Race <philip.race@oracle.com> wrote:

> As I said I prefer the make file change, since this is a change to an
> upstream library.
> I've looked at jpeg-9c and it still looks identical to what we have in 6b,
> so this code
> seems to have stood the test of time. I'm also unclear why the compiler
> would
> complain about that and not the one a few lines later
>

>  819   while (bits[i] == 0)          /* find largest codelength still in use */
>  820     i--;
>
> A push to jchuff.c will get blown away if/when we upgrade.
> A tool-chain specific fix in the makefile with an appropriate comment is more targeted.
>

> -phil.

I dislike switching off the compiler warning, since it may be actually
useful. Also I cannot exclude the possibility (I stared at the code some
time already) that the warning is actually meaningful and that we actually
should fix this underflow. Can you?

However, I see your arguments, and since you object to this patch, I revoke
it. Unfortunately I am out of time. I think for the time being we will
continue building with --disable-warnings-as-errors on zlinux.

Thanks, Thomas