List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review request for 8160124 SunGraphics2D.hitClip() can give wrong result fo
From:       Jim Graham <james.graham () oracle ! com>
Date:       2016-07-26 22:56:26

Ah, this is an issue of what an empty rectangle means.

Filling 1.5,1.5,0,0 produces no output because it has no interior.

But, stroking 1.5,1.5,0,0 can produce output because it is simply a
rectangle that spins in place.

As a result there are really 3 different containment properties for a
rectangle - one that has area, one that has only location/no area, and
one that has neither location nor area.  This is discussed in the class
comments for java.awt.Rectangle.  isEmpty() indicates whether any area
is covered, but the Rectangle may still accumulate into bounds
calculations (via union operations) and other similar operations will
treat its location as valid even if it encompasses no area.

The issue is what should Rectangle2D.getBounds() return?  We decided to
do a min/max on the origin coordinate if the width/height are 0 because
of this "it exists even if it covers no area" issue.

But, clip areas are governed by what pixels would be filled, which is
not reflected in the way that getBounds() works.

What is going wrong in SG2D is that it is using Rectangle2D.getBounds()
to compute the containment of the clip, but that does a min/max on the
area rather than compute which pixels would be hit by a fill operation.
We should replace that calculation with a more accurate computation on
which centers of pixels are included in the Rectangle2D, something like:

Rectangle2D rClip = (Rectangle2D) usrClip;
int x0 = (int) Math.ceil(rClip.getMinX() - 0.5);
int y0 = (int) Math.ceil(rClip.getMinY() - 0.5);
int x1 = (int) Math.ceil(rClip.getMaxX() - 0.5);
int x1 = (int) Math.ceil(rClip.getMaxY() - 0.5);
clipRegion = devClip.getIntersectionXYXY(x0, y0, x1, y1);

Some work and testing should be done to see what happens when any of the
min/max/xy coordinates overflow an integer, but that would be the basic
gist of what we should be doing in that case in validateCompClip()...

			...jim