List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] RFR 6212751: DOC: ServiceUI.printDialog() need to enhance the description f
From:       Phil Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2016-05-31 18:34:55

Before I forget this one looks as if it may need a CCC - if it goes that
far.
Remember to revisit that before it is done.

Yet I am not sure I accept what is written in the bug report as being
the basis
for updating these docs.

The existing javadoc on ServiceUI appears consistent with what is
written here :
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/awt/GraphicsConfiguration.html

The specified "GC" - best written out as "GraphicsConfiguration" in the
docs -
targets a specific physical monitor/screen regardless of whether the screens
are separate or there is one virtual screen spanning them.
The x/y are then relative to the origin of that monitor/screen.

 >this value depicts the GC ofthe active window.

All references to "active window" fall flat if there is no such window
so I don't think you should (or can) bake such an assumption into the
javadoc.
Remember this dialog could be the *only* window that is ever displayed
by the app.

But even more importantly this is simply wrong.
I can specify *any* GC I want. Nothing should be forcing me to display it
only on the same screen as the active window - if there is one.
It might be what you usually want to do but that is a choice ..

If I was to speculate, I might say that the comments written in 6212751
were a result of confusion due to the issues described in 8138749 (and
its original report under 5109347).

-phil.