List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK-8153732 would it be possible to extend the PrintServiceLookup with a refres
From:       Patrick Reinhart <patrick () reini ! net>
Date:       2016-05-25 21:18:03

Hi Phil,

> Am 25.05.2016 um 22:28 schrieb Phil Race <philip.race@oracle.com>:
>
> Possible, but should we ?

I think yes, but it should be clearly documented, that a call to this method can be \
expensive.

> That is the method that does the refresh once we've received the notification.
> We wanted to avoid applications having to continually call this method every time
> the applications asks for the list because it may be a lengthy operation.

In my opinion, this method should only be called in rare cases in order to force an \
update. That’s our current way to trigger an update without restarting the VM (using \
reflection)

> If it were not we probably would have just done that.
>
> So then the app has to figure out a policy on how often to ask for a refresh
> and this is what we wanted to avoid.

It should state that this method is time consuming and should used with cause.

> And given that the reason to call the method is somewhat environmental
> it might be tricky to explain why and when to call it given that mostly it
> is not necessary.

That is true, on the other hand I see no better way to trigger such an update.

Cheers

Patrick

> -phil.
>

> On 05/25/2016 12:59 PM, Patrick Reinhart wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I know you that this issue does not have the highest priority. Even though I \
> > would like to work on a possible solution without having to relay exclusively on \
> > a OS specific solution. I have looked into the different actual implementations \
> > of the PrintServiceLookup and found out that there all having already such a \
> > functionality that is called refreshServices().
> > My question is now: Could this method not me made available as a public API \
> > method on the PrintServiceLookup? That would solve my problem in a pretty simple \
> > way, that if a remote printer is being changed this method could be called to \
> > manually refresh the printers.
> > What is your opinion about this?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Patrick