List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] JDK-8153732 Change Windows refresh logic to also catch remote printer changes
From:       patrick () reini ! net
Date:       2016-04-07 12:32:54

Hi all,

I have various customers that do use remote print servers from the
application servers and therefore do not see remote printers added
without restarting the JVM of the application server using the current
implementation. Because I do not want to tweak with reflection on the
Windows PrintServiceLookup implementation in the long run, I would like
to help implementing a alternate solution that also handles remote
printers as well.

I would like to discuss a possible solution for this problem using a the
RegistryKeyChangeEvent on printer registry keys instead of the
FindFirstPrinterChangeNotification call as described in the following
blog:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/hmahrt/2012/04/09/how-to-listen-for-printer-connections/

Cheers Patrick