List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8133309: Some unicode characters do not display any more after upgrading t
From:       Phil Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-09-23 18:31:10

I had marked the bug noreg-other as whether these code points are available
is not directly under our control. It depends on the installed fonts.

The underlying issue is that MS removed a font from the default install
and that
could happen again with these fonts, unlikely as that may be.

But we have the outstanding issue that on Windows 10 you won't get
Japanese displayed unless you took extra steps since it was a Japanese font.
It may be interesting to come up with a set of (non-regression) tests that
identify the coverage we expect on a per-platform basis to detect things
like this on new versions of a platform,  so we have more time to plan.

-phil.