List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review request for 8076545 Text size is twice bigger under Windows L&F on W
From:       Alexander Scherbatiy <alexandr.scherbatiy () oracle ! com>
Date:       2015-07-17 13:27:48

   Hello,

  Could you review the updated fix:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8076545/webrev.01/

   - inverted scale is used
   - round is used instead of ceil

On 7/9/2015 2:32 AM, Phil Race wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - Note that the size you are re-scaling is the real pixel size GDI
> says to use,
>   so this is presumably to prevent double-scaling ? I can't really
> tell from
>   the attached images if the size the user perceives in the Win L&F is
>   the same as the rest of the native desktop or much bigger.
>   In other words is Win L&F just right and Metal too small, or is
>   Metal just right and Win L&F too big ?
      The Win L&F is twice bigger than Metal L&F, window, and component
sizes.

> - why use ceil instead of rounding ? For 120 dpi and a reported 14
> pixel font you
> probably want the closest int to "11.2" which is 11 but you will
> return 12.
>
> - I am not familiar with what the effect is of the change in
> ThemeReader_getSize.
>   Can you explain this.
      It returns size of requested native controls. For example, Windows
L&F can request a size of the expanded or collapsed Tree icon.

> - Sergey's point about multi-mon should be checked out.
     Windows 8.1 has option "Let me choose one scaling level for all my
displays".
     If I unset it I am able to change the size of all items. However,
the DPI which returns GetDPIForMonitor is still 2 on HiDPI displays.

    Thanks,
    Alexandr.