List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8035302: Eliminate dependency on sun.nio.cs from AWT and Motif code
From:       Volker Simonis <volker.simonis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-05-28 14:11:54

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 28/05/2015 10:10, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>
>> :
>> Yes, but as I wrote, there is a hard dependency from some of the
>> sun.font classes to some non-standard charsets:
>>
>> sun.font.X11GB2312 -> sun.nio.cs.EUC_CN
>> sun.font.X11GBK -> sun.nio.cs.GBK
>> sun.font.X11KSC5601 -> sun.nio.cs.EUC_KR
>>
>> If I decide that I don't want to put EUC_CN in the set of standard
>> charsets on a specific OS, I won't be able to build. I have opened
>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8081332 for this issue and
>> have an easy fix out for review which just adds the corresponding
>> stdcs-aix file on AIX.
>>
>> But still I think it is bad that compiling the sun.font.* package
>> which is part of the 'java.desktop' module requires the manual
>> maintenance of an OS-dependent 'stdcs-<os>' file. I think it would be
>> much better if either all the charsets referenced by 'sun.font.*' are
>> in the standard charset by default or the other way round if we only
>> reference standard charsets from 'sun.font.*'.
>>
> Footprint is a concern for java.base so this is why it only contains the 6
> standard charsets and any additional charsets that are needed to run in
> supported configurations. For the AIX port then the size of java.base might
> not be a concern and you might decide to put most or all of the extended
> charsets into java.base.
>
> It would be nice if sun.font.* did not directly depend on sun.nio.cs.*. One
> of Phil's initial patches attempted to address this but at the cost of
> copying charset code into the java.desktop module. Some of us have
> maintenance concerns with doing that. Our main goal wasn't to address this
> long standing dependency, instead it was to address the dependency on
> classes in the provider module. Maybe it's time to re-visit the dependency
> on sun.nio.cs too.

I'm happy with the current solution (i.e. providing a corresponding
'stdcs-aix' file) and footprint isn't an issue on AIX indeed. All I
wanted to say is that if you are using 'sun.font.*' on your platform
you currently have no other choice than putting at least  EUC_CN,
EUC_KR and GBK into the standard charsets as well. But as far as I
understood now, you're already aware of the problem :)

Regards,
Volker