List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8048328: CUPS Printing does not report supported printer resolutions.
From:       Phil Race <philip.race () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-06-27 20:47:53

Fix: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~prr/8048328/

We have never supported returning the available printer resolutions
for CUPS printing although it is available in the PPD.

With this fix, as long as any resolution is provided we will declare
the attribute supported and provide its default value and the
complete set.

In addition, we now pass on the default or chosen value to be
used as the resolution of the generated postscript.

This will mean we will now pay attention to the true device
resolution and you should get higher quality output where
available - subject to the implementation of the cups filters of course

Also it will allow anyone wanting to print more like 'draft' mode
to select the lowest resolution and potentially get smaller spool files.
Some printers will do 150x150 dpi compared to our current hardcoded
300x300 dpi

Note that by no means all printers do support it and nothing
will change in those cases.

-phil.