List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> JDK-8041679 Replace uses of StringBuffer with StringBuilder within th
From:       Paul Sandoz <paul.sandoz () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-06-16 16:51:04

After some further reflection i have decided to not separate this out and some bits \
going to client and some bits going to dev, and have pushed all changes to dev. I \
realise this might cause some friction but believe it the right thing to do.

I remain unconvinced that the separate process for patches such as this scales and is \
a valuable use of our development time and resources. A merging process is surely \
fundamentally more efficient (and anyway has to be performed) over N developers \
having to use a slightly different process [*].

Call me human and flawed in my management of time :-( but higher priority things keep \
getting pushed to the top of my stack before getting around to following this \
separate process and i really don't want the code to bit rot. I suspect i am not \
unique in this regard.

Paul.

[*] Is it documented? I have never managed to obtain a definitive answer, nor an \
explicit white-list of Java package names (external yes, internal no).

On May 20, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz@oracle.com> wrote:

> On May 19, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Phil Race <philip.race@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > If you do decide to split this then it will require creating a second issue \
> > > JIRA to avoid running foul of jcheck when jdk/client eventually pushes to \
> > > jdk/dev. I don't know how often jdk9/client integrates into jdk9/dev but it \
> > > doesn't seem to be very frequent (hg incoming suggests there is currently about \
> > > a month of changes backed up in jdk9/client but there may be issues to explain \
> > > this).
> > > For this specific case then it doesn't seem worth it, it would be much less \
> > > effort to just push the lot to jdk9/dev. Clearly if there were substantive \
> > > changes then it would be important to push the changes to the forest where they \
> > > are most likely to get tested but it hardly seems worth it here. From what I \
> > > can tell then Phil or others sync up jdk9/client regularly and that might be \
> > > the most efficient way to get these changes into jdk9/client.
> > The changes should go through client for the reasons I already gave.
>
> IIUC these were the reasons you gave in a previous email on this thread:
>
> "I would not push hotspot changes to client either. Also lots of files
> are being updated in client and doing it this way will minimise merges ..."
>
> I don't find either very convincing.
>

> > No new permissions are needed but it will need a unique bug id.
> >

> Ok.
>

> > FWIW integrations are intended to be bi-weekly but holidays interfered this time.
> >

> Why does it take so long?
>
> Paul.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]