List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Should changes to client libraries be pushed to jdk9/dev instead of jdk9/client
From:       Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman () oracle ! com>
Date:       2014-02-02 11:51:46

On 31/01/2014 23:46, Joseph Darcy wrote:
> :
>
> Discussions are on going as to which forest client libraries fixes
> should go into, the client forest (where closed-source deployment
> changes happen to be going) or to the dev forest where all the other
> libraries work is going; FWIW, I favor the latter.
I would too but I assume it depends on whether the changes require any
special pre-integration testing that would prohibit weekly or more
frequent integrations into master.

> In any case, for all the forests which will be integrating into dev,
> including the client and hotspot forests, the maintainers of those
> forests are responsible for regularly pulling down changes from dev
> and merging them in. In my estimation, unless there is a reason for
> temporary isolation, the frequency of syncing with dev should be
> closer to daily than weekly or monthly. The dev forest was open for
> business on Dec. 13, 2013, and fixes started going into it that day.
> From my reading of the JDK 9 master
> (http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/jdk9/jdk/), the tag for jdk9-b01 was
> added about three weeks ago. So if the first sync from dev into client
> has only done in the last day or two, that would seem to be tardy to me.
I assume that since this is a new structure that it will take time to
get used to. While I'm not too concerned about jdk9/client being behind
for a bit, I do wonder about the changes backing up in jdk9/client. I
don't think there has been any client->dev push yet and some of the
changes in jdk9/client were pushed in December. Hopefully that will be
sorted out soon.

> The goal for dev is to have integrations into master no less than
> weekly, but I'd like us to transition to having smaller and more
> frequent integrations. We are laying the foundational work, cleaning
> up intermittent test failures, etc. to allow that to happen.
Indeed, and I expect that the test work will continue for a long time.

-Alan.