List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] request for review: JDK-8028722: XRender: Drawing strings with exactly 254 glyp
From:       Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-21 21:30:20

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the review.

> Not that it impacts us now but I think the tricky question is can we ever
> remove the workaround?
> ie how will we ever know when we are using a fixed xrender lib.
> I'd like to see core Xrender add a "GetVersion()" API  so we can figure this
> stuff out at runtime.

In this case the decision to leave the workarround in forever is easy
- it only causes minimal protocol overhead for larger strings (0.05
extra bytes per 253 characters).
In other areas an API to detect the driver / xorg and library versions
would have saved a lot of headache.

However with wayland/mir/... on the horizon, there is still hope for
better opengl drivers in mid-term future :)

Thanks, Clemens