List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Add optional support for using the system libicu
From:       "Steven R. Loomis" <steven.loomis () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-06-25 0:24:15

Omair,
  I'm sorry I did not see this before. I probably would not have noticed
it except I happened to notice this reply.

  I'm responsible for maintaining the version of ICU in JDK, and also
(read: main day job) IBM's lead for ICU for C/C++.  ( But I speak for
myself here, of course. )

  I think this patch is certainly a good direction (especially with
regards HarfBuzz - I wrote that recommendation you cite), at least
longer term, however, I have quite a number of concerns with this patch.

• The big one - is that the ICU and JDK versions of the LE are
divergent, so much so that, to put it mildly, I am a little surprised
that this patch builds at all.
  Now, I would like - love - for enough upstream changes to ICU to
happen so that the APIs are compatible enough for this change to be
possible.  But we aren't there yet.
   • … and when we are there, it won't be compatible with any shipping
ICU, so you will need to wait until the future ICU is picked up.

• You mentioned the issues about which version of the headers to compile
against. You MUST compile against the same version of the headers you
are linking against.  Period. This is C++, not Java or even C.  The
vtable expected in the ICU version versus the JDK version of the LE are
different, have different parentage.

• As to tests, I would start with everything in
jdk/test/java/awt/font/TextLayout

  ( NB Phil-  I had started a port of ICU's letest.xml conformance test
to the JDK- this would be helpful in making sure we get the same results.)

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. I don't always monitor this address
or even 2d-dev as closely as I could.

Regards,
Steven

( If you don't get a response from me, you can always ping me at
srl@icu-project.org …  )