List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    Re: [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [8] Review request for 8005607: Recursion in J2DXErrHandler() Causes a Stack Ov
From:       Anton Litvinov <anton.litvinov () oracle ! com>
Date:       2013-04-24 16:53:39

Hello Phil,

I provide answers to the questions from your last e-mail. Yes, the fix
for the bug 6678385 did not take into account error handlers which are
set in 2D native code area. Thank you for accepting the idea of the fix,
despite theoretically possible problems, which you defined for the
cases, when Java is embedded into another applications. No, after
discussion with AWT team member Anthony Petrov, I would not like to
remove "saved_error_handler" variable from the class
"XErrorHandlerUtil", because, as Anthony stated in his last e-mail in
the mail thread dedicated to this fix, this variable may be used for
debugging purpose at any time and its removal is not directly related to
the main purpose of this fix.

Could you please review a new version of the fix containing corrections
which should satisfy your remarks.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alitvinov/8005607/webrev.05

The following changes were added to the fix:

1. Declarations of the local variables introduced by the fix in all C
source files were moved to the beginning of the functions in order not
to lead to warnings or errors of some C source code compilers. The fix
in these files was modified: awt_GraphicsEnv.c, awt_util.h,
GLXSurfaceData.c, X11SurfaceData.c.

2. The code AWT_LOCK/AWT_UNLOCK was eliminated from both files
"GLXSurfaceData.c" and "X11SurfaceData.c", where it was added by the
earlier version of the fix. Because:

     - "sun.java2d.opengl.GLXSurfaceData.initPbuffer" method, whose
native implementation contains the fix, is always called under AWT lock,
acquired in the method "sun.java2d.opengl.OGLSurfaceData.initSurface".
     - "X11SurfaceData.c::X11SD_CreateSharedPixmap" calling
"X11SurfaceData.c::X11SD_CreateSharedImage" function, containing the
fix, is always guarded by AWT lock, acquired in
"X11SurfaceData.c::XShared_initSurface" function.
     - Despite of the fact that I was not able to find evidences of
acquirement of AWT lock in all other algorithm's paths, which lead to a
call of the function "X11SurfaceData.c::X11SD_CreateSharedImage", I
tested the fix with manual test and did not observe any case, when
"sun.awt.X11.XShmAttachHandler" was exploited without AWT lock by means
of the method "SunToolkit.isAWTLockHeldByCurrentThread". I also suppose
that small possibility of race condition is less important than a
deadlock caused by AWT_LOCK/AWT_UNLOCK code.

Thank you,
Anton