List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Fonts rendering in openjdk
From:       philip.race () oracle ! com (Phil Race)
Date:       2010-05-19 16:05:00

On 5/17/2010 5:44 AM, Aekold Helbrass wrote:
> Attachments:
> snapshot11 - tiny java app with DejaVu Sans Mono, Plain, 12 size font.
> snapshot12 - the same font of size 10 in KWrite.
> I assume that size (and roundness) difference is because of 72 DPI in
> Java and 96 in KDE, but difference in antialiasing is obvious.

A quick PS .. I see the attachements now and its clear that the first is
in LCD mode
and the second is in greyscale mode.

So its not remotely possible to compare these two cases.
If you are running under KDE, then historically there's been some
problems in finding out what the desktop settings are so we may be
trying greyscale instead of LCD. Might be interesting for you to debug that.
But you need to set the RenderingHing for LCD_HRGB hint if you really
want to compare.

-phil