List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] freetype version check (2.3.0 -> 2.2.1)
From:       mjw () redhat ! com (Mark Wielaard)
Date:       2009-05-04 19:57:23

Hi Phil,

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 12:34 -0700, Phil Race wrote:
> Igor did the freetype work and in he commented in email on 23rd July 2007 :
>
>  >  - Changed required freetype version from 2.3.4 to 2.3.0
>  >    (it did compile with 2.2.1 too for me but Font2DTest was showing garbage
>  >     and i had no chance to investigate why this happens)
>
> So I don't think we want to move it down without knowing what that was about.
> It may have been platform-specific. Igor - can you remember two years back ?

Interesting, to make sure everything was fine I did also check with that
Font2DTest (and some others) and the fact that everything looked just
fine was the reason to push it.

> I also recall there was a nasty bug  where having fonts with embedded
> bitmaps on your system caused an infinite loop inside freetype.
> I think we needed to update the freetype lib because of that, but
> I can't remember the details to be sure.

The freetype 2.2.1 package on RHEL and CentOS 5 do have some fixes
applied to them. And the java-1.6.0-openjdk package has been deployed on
those platforms for some time. So I assume if there were any real bugs
they will have been backported at least on those platforms.

Ideally of course we would have a autoconf test for the features that
the backend relies on. The problem with the hard version check is that
it prevents compilation for everybody, even when they really just want
to compile against an earlier (patched/fixed) version that might just be
what is available for the platform.

Let me know if I can help with coming up with a feature test for any
issues.

Thanks,

Mark