List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Using OpenJDK's FreeType support in a standard Sun	JRE
From:       Igor.Nekrestyanov () Sun ! COM (Igor Nekrestyanov)
Date:       2009-04-09 9:05:01

Hello Daniel,

It is not possible to simply copy part of openjdk to your application in
order to add support for plugging freetype.
It does require changes in the jdk libraries itself to support concept
of pluggable rasterizers.

In theory it might be possible to use your own rasterizer (and your own
API to convert text to image instead of drawString(), etc.)
but this does not sound like the reasonable approach.

In terms of public API there were no changes related to support of
freetype in the JDK. Therefore, if you will stick to standard API
then service quality will degrade gradually. Users will be able to
benefit from JDK7 improvements and freetype support in the
openjdk6/openjdk7 if they install them.  On other hand application will
still work (but support less fonts) on any other JDK.

-igor