List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] 5106550: PNG writer merge standard metadata fails for TextEntry sans #IMPLIED attri
From:       Martin.vGagern () gmx ! net (Martin von Gagern)
Date:       2008-12-12 17:23:07

Andrew Brygin wrote:
>  As you probably saw your fix for 5106550 was just  pushed into 2d
> workspace
>  (http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/2d/jdk/rev/9d14b0582e1a)

Yes, I noticed, thanks.

Comparing that changeset with my patch, I found that the patch now also
ignores invalid keywords for the native PNG metadata format.

I am a bit surprised by this, as I would expect the PNG metadata tree to
be written to file entirely, without silently dropping parts. As sane
PNG applications and images never should generate such invalid keywords
in the first place, they won't be affected. When transcoding PNG files
it might make sense to drop invalid keywords, in order to write valid
files even after reading invalid ones. However, if an application tries
to write invalid keywords, I'd rather see an exception than the text
chunks being silently dropped. This is especially important in
theoretical applications that allow the user the specification or
arbitrary keywords and don't perform any validity checkings by themselves.

On the whole, I can see reasons for those additional modifications, but
I wouldn't have included them myself in quite this way.

Thanks for reviewing and pushing this bugfix!

>  There is short status for other two your suggested fixes:

I'll comment on #6782079 in the appropriate thread.

Greetings,
 Martin