List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Question about STR pipelines and Surface/SW blits
From:       linuxhippy () gmail ! com (Clemens Eisserer)
Date:       2008-12-02 20:09:53

Hi Roman,

> AFAICS (I'm not the expert here, but I'm digging in this code right
> now), GetRasInfo() (and the other SurfaceData.h function pointers) is
> called whenever a native render loop needs to access pixel data of the
> surface. This happens when a pipeline doesn't have certain graphics
> primitive for that surface overridden, usually happens for complex stuff
> like compositing, drawing with complex clip, etc.

What I wonder is how the STR pipelines handle fallbacks, for exmaple
the OpenGL pipeline does not have getRasInfo nor getRaster
implemented.
The only thing it has are Surface->SW blits, so it seems they are used
for fallbacks, at least thats what I guess.
I wonder where the descission is done which path to go...

I wonder wether there are drawbacks when only implementing the native
getRasInfo as currently done by the X11 pipeline.

> AFAIK, it is called if there are no native ops registered, then as a
> last resort the loops try to grab the raster and get the pixel data out
> of this.
Ah, good to know, thanks :)

Thanks, Clemens