List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Optimizing pixmap reads and write
From:       Jim.A.Graham () Sun ! COM (Jim Graham)
Date:       2008-11-04 11:02:19

Hi Roman,

This isn't well documented in SurfaceData.h, but there is a set of flags
"SD_LOCK_NEED_PIXELS" which indicates if you need to do the read.  This
is used in X11SurfaceData.c, but that file has so many ifdefs and
alternate pixel access modes now that you really have to dig through it
to see this.  It is also used in GDIWindowSurfaceData.cpp which is a
little less complicated than the X11 counterpart, but not by much.

SD_LOCK_NEED_PIXELS is an OR of the READ and the PARTIAL flags.
Primitives that know that they will be obliterating the entire rectangle
that they are asking to lock will use SD_LOCK_WRITE without the PARTIAL
flag.  If they cannot guarantee that they will obliterate the
destination then they use the PARTIAL flag (in addition to WRITE) so
that the read will be triggered.

Hope that helps...

			...jim