List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Basic Color Management
From:       aph () redhat ! com (Andrew Haley)
Date:       2008-06-14 6:25:10

Ben Loud wrote:

> I know what you mean. I would like to see more comprehensive support
> for color management in the JDK. Right now all we get is
> to/fromXYZ() which is defined to be done using relative
> colorimetric, and to/fromsRGB, which is defined to use perceptual,
> but these only work on float arrays, and there's no support for
> saturation or absolute colorimetric, and no way to create an
> optimized transform between profiles.

I don't understand why you say there's no way to create an optimized
transform between profiles, since this is exactly what
java.awt.image.ColorConvertOp does.

> It wouldnt be difficult to add, of course the capability is all
> there in littlecms and exists to some extent in sun.java2d.cmm.*,
> perhaps it will be considered for a future JDK version.

Yes.  This seems like a fairly modest Java spec enhancement.

Adam Augusta wrote:

> By the spec, profiles support four rendering intents, absolute
> colorimetric, relative colorimetric, perceptual, and saturation.  You
> can define a ColorSpace by an ICC profile, but there's no opportunity
> to specify a rendering intent.
>
> (I know Batik extended ColorSpace to support a rendering intent, but
> Batik is an SVG library.)

If you look at
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/javadoc/org/apache/batik/ext/awt/color/ICCColorSpaceExt.html
you'll see it doesn't work anyway.  For it really to be useful,
ColorConvertOp(ICC_Profile[] profiles, RenderingHints hints) would
have to know about ICCColorSpaceExt.

Andrew.