List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Font Metrics in OpenJDK vs Sun JDK
From:       Ben.Loud () rlmgroup ! com ! au (Ben Loud)
Date:       2008-06-13 16:51:01

Thanks Phil!

You were of course, completely right. I rebuilt FreeType with the bytecode \
interpreter enabled and now both the AWT FontMetrics string width and the \
TextLayout.getBounds() width match the Sun JDK exactly (and I really mean EXACTLY).   \
 The leading is still -1 though. In fact, if I get a LineMetrics from the Font, in \
the Sun JDK I get these:
Height:  13.277344
Ascent:  11.005371
Descent: 2.2719727
Leading: -0.0

But in OpenJDK I get:

Height:  13.0
Ascent:  11.0
Descent:  3.0
Leading: -1.0

I had a go at looking in to it myself but didnt get very far. I stuck a breakpoint in \
the StrikeMetrics constructor and could see that it was indeed getting those values. \
I also looked at the native code for FreetypeFontScaler.getFontMetricsNative(), and \
it seems correct as best as I can tell, but I havent yet figured out how to debug \
native JDK code. Still, its clear that the -1 is just the result of 13+(-11)-3, which \
is the right way to calculate it. The problem is that for some reason we're getting \
whole numbers for these metrics, and not even correctly rounded numbers (2.27 vs 3.0 \
for the descent). I'm stumped as to why.
Also there an issue with the TextLayout bounds, in the Sun JDK, my TextLayout test \
gives the string the bounds: [x=0.0,y=-8.359375,w=238.29688,h=10.625]

but in OpenJDK I get:
[x=0.0,y=0.0,w=238.29688,h=18.453125]

Notice that OpenJDK has given y=0, but it should be relative to the baseline. The \
height is also very wrong, although its suspicously close to h-y (taking the expected \
values from the Sun JDK). I'll keep digging and see if I can trace how thats \
calculated.