List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] OpenJDK: SIMD and 3DNOW
From:       Christopher.Campbell () Sun ! COM (Chris Campbell)
Date:       2007-08-24 20:33:11

Alexander,

The HotSpot VM takes advantage of SIMD instruction sets (e.g. VIS on
SPARC processors, MMX/SSE2 on Intel/AMD processors) to accelerate
certain common calls, such as various methods in the java.lang.Math
class for example.  Also, Java2D takes advantage of SIMD instructions
in certain cases.  But these are really just implementation details;
it doesn't mean there are any public APIs in the JDK or elsewhere
that provide an abstraction layer over e.g. SSE2, which I think is
what you're seeking.  In other words, the answer is "no".

If you really want to leverage native SIMD instructions, you're free
to write your own JNI code, but just keep in mind that you'd better
have a lot of data to process, otherwise the cost of making JNI calls
will outweigh any benefits you get from native SIMD instructions.

Chris