List:       openjdk-2d-dev
Subject:    [OpenJDK 2D-Dev] OpenJDK: 2D API Contributions
From:       Igor.Nekrestyanov () Sun ! COM (Igor Nekrestyanov)
Date:       2007-08-05 14:00:16

Hello Alexander,

Have a look at overview of contribution process here -
http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/.
Process is evolving and hopefully will be simplified with time (in
particular after after openjdk
will finally migrate to Mercurial repositary).

If you want to help with improving OpenJDK without large modifications
to public API -
feel free to pick interesting bugs from the bug database and send
proposed changes to this list.

If you think about significantly extending API this should go through JCP.
Because of backward compatibility and other requirements we have to be
very careful with extending public core API.
Often, it is better to provide additional possibilities as part of
extension package such for example Java Advanced Imaging
or SwingLabs projects.
If some of this new functionality will be proven to be useful for many
jdk users it can be moved to core platform.

-igor