List:       openid-user-experience
Subject:    Re: Draft OpenID 2.x User Experience working group charter
From:       jDavid <jdavid.net () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-02 17:42:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

If your point is to do with UX, a guideline on contextually appropriate
terms would be useful? (I agree) Is that your point?

'yes'

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> terms appropriate for the audience.
>
> This is the specs list, and we (identity experts) all should know what an
> RP is. I see zero value in renaming it for the spec.
>
> If your point is to do with UX, a guideline on contextually appropriate
> terms would be useful? (I agree) Is that your point?
>
> On 2010-06-02, at 10:01 AM, jDavid wrote:
>
> my point is that if you write up a TOS, or some other specific verbiage you
> are going to right now use the term 'relying party', and until you know the
> details of OpenID, relying party is meaningless.
>
> Facebook uses the term 'partner website'
> http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/108
>
> Let's get simpler, clearer, and more human friendly.
>
> Ubuntu has been doing a great job of cleaning little things like this up.
>  They have set a goal to be easier to use than Mac OSX, it's a lofty goal,
> but it's a good one.  Open Technologies don't need to be complicated to be
> open, let's prove that.
>

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2010-06-02, at 9:22 AM, jDavid wrote:
>>
>> > no, but if i tell my grandma, mom, brother or dad that the relying party
>> is going to do something with her data, what is she to assume?
>>
>> Well, I would be telling them specific sites and not use the term relying
>> party. Similarly I would not be using the term OpenID Provider.
>>

>> > it's not a good noun.  social app is better but i am sure it's not the
>> best.
>>
>> Do you think that we should only use OpenID for social apps?
>>
>> >  let's just try to find something meaningful.  i also think relying
>> party makes more sense with browser redirects, than with how OpenID could
>> work.
>>
>> If the OP is a server, I don't see how you get away from redirects. I also
>> don't understand why you think that makes more sense.
>>

>> > 3rd party site would be a more commonly used noun set.
>>
>> Who is the 1st and 2nd party?
>>

> --
> --
> Justin Kruger --
> Unity Technologies ( unity3d.com)
> Social Media Software Engineer -
> San Francisco, CA
>
> http://jDavid.net
> http://twitter.com/jdavid
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdavid
>
> jDavid.net@gmail.com
>
> jdavid
>
> http://untemplater.com/
> MANIFESTO - "Create True Happiness Living a life that you Consciously
> Choose for Yourself."

Justin Kruger --
Unity Technologies ( unity3d.com)
Social Media Software Engineer -
San Francisco, CA

http://jDavid.net
http://twitter.com/jdavid

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdavid

jDavid.net@gmail.com

jdavid

http://untemplater.com/
MANIFESTO - "Create True Happiness Living a life that you Consciously Choose

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

appropriate terms would be useful? (I agree) Is that your \
2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Dick Hardt <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div style="word-wrap:break-word">One would hope that the \
author of a TOS or any other document will use terms appropriate for the \
should know what an RP is. I see zero value in renaming it for the spec.  \
appropriate terms would be useful? (I agree) Is that your point?</div> \
some other specific  verbiage  you are going to right now use the term &#39;relying \
party&#39;, and until you know the details of OpenID, relying party is \
href="http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/108" \
get simpler, clearer, and more human friendly.</div>

this up.   They have set a goal to be easier to use than Mac OSX, it&#39;s a lofty \
goal, but it&#39;s a good one.   Open Technologies don&#39;t need to be complicated \
to be open, let&#39;s prove that.</div>

Dick Hardt <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:dick.hardt@gmail.com" \
solid;padding-left:1ex">

On 2010-06-02, at 9:22 AM, jDavid wrote:<br>
&gt; no, but if i tell my grandma, mom, brother or dad that the relying party is \
going to do something with her data, what is she to assume?<br> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; it&#39;s not a good noun.   social app is better but i am sure it&#39;s not the \
best.<br> <br>
&gt;   let&#39;s just try to find something meaningful.   i also think relying party \
makes more sense with browser redirects, than with how OpenID could work.<br> <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 3rd party site would be a more commonly used noun set.<br>
Technologies ( <a href="http://unity3d.com/" \
Francisco, CA<br> <br><a href="http://jDavid.net/" \
target="_blank">http://jDavid.net</a><br> <a href="http://twitter.com/jdavid" \
href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdavid" \
href="mailto:jDavid.net@gmail.com" target="_blank">jDavid.net@gmail.com</a><br>

target="_blank">http://untemplater.com/</a><br>MANIFESTO - &quot;Create True \
Happiness Living a life that you Consciously Choose for Yourself.&quot;<br> </div>
href="http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdavid">http://www.linkedin.com/in/jdavid</a><br> \