List:       openid-legal
Subject:    [legal] [OpenID] Draft OpenID Intellectual Property
From:       gabe.wachob () amsoft ! net (Gabe Wachob)
Date:       2007-09-28 1:48:13

Simon-
	The licenses you cite are licenses around software. The licenses
discussed in the IPR policy are around specifications. Much of the language
in GPL simply doesn't make sense (e.g. GPL talks about "source" and "object"
- simply inapposite here).
	Also, I don't think the Debian Free Software Guidelines apply in any
sensical way here either - I don't see how the required copyright license
here restricts using any implementation of OpenID in any field of endeavor.

	Creative Commons is *more* applicable - though even there, the
emphasis is on sharing and derivative works - the question is to what extent
derivatives of OpenID specifications need to be allowed by the copyright
policy. It would be a distinct departure from normal standards making specs
to create a license as liberal as any of the CC licenses.
	I would note that both IETF and W3C specs have copyright licenses
which are actually more restrictive than the one being proposed here: