List:       openid-general
Subject:    Re: [OpenID] LinkedIn Connect?
From:       SitG Admin <sysadmin () shadowsinthegarden ! com>
Date:       2010-05-10 4:51:55

>At the risk of conflating protocols, I do think there is raw
>potential for an "identity and profile" extension to OAuth. IDPs
>which carry a lot of sensitive profile information (like LinkedIn)
>can probably never hand it out to arbitrary, unknown RPs ... but we
>already have an OAuth solution for managing our relationship with
>third parties (registration, terms of use, signing), so why not
>leverage that?

Speaking of which, how well do you play with OAuth when it comes to
*receiving* sensitive information from third parties?

For instance, any idea how Google feels about LinkedIn asking mutual
users directly for their Gmail username and password, then sending
mail through their account?

It sure would be nice if Google had an API call for LinkedIn to
blindly request "send message from user's address to everyone in
Contacts list" through OAuth; the exact addresses would not need to
be revealed, and Gmail could automatically prepend the message with
"this was sent through an API", or some equivalent notification to
recipients?

-Shade