List:       opengroupware-evolution
Subject:    Re: [OGo-Evolution] Stepping on Ximian's toes
From:       Helge Hess <helge.hess () opengroupware ! org>
Date:       2003-07-31 21:07:18

On Donnerstag, 31. Juli 2003, at 19:53 Uhr, JT Moree wrote:
> I should have quoted the sentence
> "We better not do anything to replace proprietary code with open code
> because it might hurt somebody"
> as a summary of the email that I was replying to.

Again, not "somebody", but Ximian. I will not follow you in that
generalization.

> If you are simply saying that we want to make sure everyone
> understands the goals of the project:
> 1) to create open standards connection between OGO and Evo
> 2) to not neccessarily create a ximian connector replacement

You can exchange 2) with

2) we will not create a Ximian Connector replacement

this is *not* the goal of OGo or the Evolution subproject and an
attempt to do something like this has nothing to do with OGo at all.
You might want to join a different project if you are interested in a
free Evolution Exchange connector.

> Then I applaud the effort but the email that I replied to seemed to
> suggest that you
> 1) wanted to make sure that you did not create or aid in the creation
> of a replacement for ximian connector bc that might hurt ximian

I think the "wanted to make sure" is a bit too strict, but in general
this is what the people who want to do actual OGo connector work agreed
on. We agreed that we should avoid to hurt Ximian for reasons I
mentioned in the other mail.

Please: if you want to continue this political free vs propritary
discussion, move to discuss@opengroupware.org and I will follow. This
list is primarily intended for technical discussions and work
negotiation.

regards,
   Helge
--