List:       opengroupware-evolution
Subject:    Re: [OGo-Evolution] ping
From:       Dan Winship <danw () ximian ! com>
Date:       2003-07-17 16:00:46

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:26, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> I thought about one thing - do we have to reinvent things or we could
> get some of Connector code (which doesn't for example relates to
> Exchange connections, etc.) here? It's there some kind of framework for
> Evolution plugins/connectors at Ximian which could be used?

About half of the code in Connector is either specifically
Exchange-related (eg, NTLM, parsing weirdo MAPI data blobs, delegation
configuration, etc), or is stuff that wouldn't need to be done in an OGo
connector (eg, all the mail code since presumably the OGo connector
would just use IMAP).

The address and calendar backends were written by copying the file
backends (evolution/calendar/pcs/cal-backend-file.c and
evolution/addressbook/backend/pas/pas-backend-file.c), and replacing all
the file-specific bits with exchange-specific bits. So there's not
really a lot you could get out of those that you couldn't get out of the
evolution source tree.

There *is* still a good amount of code that could be shared though.
(WebDAV utility code, a lot of the storage tree handling.) I don't know
if we'll be able to share this though. (I don't think the question had
come up yet...)

Ettore (the Evolution team leader) and I had talked about possibly
splitting the LDAP backend out from the wombat into its own backend to
provide a better example of how backends are supposed to work. That
would also help out some.

-- Dan