List:       opengroupware-documentation
Subject:    Re: [OGo-Documentation] Documentation index
From:       Dan Bar <Daniel.Bar () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2003-08-20 20:05:27

Some hints, see if would b usefull for u.

Dennis Leeuw napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> I am just back from my holiday and as promised before I went I have
> created a quick list of ToDo's.
> In the spirit of release early, release often I am gonna release version
> 0.0.0.0.0.1 :)
> What I wanna do is to split up the documentation in very small pieces so
> people can take up one or more fractions to document (dependend on skills,
> time, interest). To get this list complete preferably this week I need all
> the input I can get. Remember I like small sections that form a single
> subject, and which can if needed be used in different types of manuals.
> Like objects that can be reused.
>
> Fill, change and comment on this list and if you already have a section
> that you want to work on let me know. The German manuals can only be used
> as a reference, thus the sooner we write our own documents, the better.
>
> Dennis
>
> ** General stuff (to be used in most manuals)
> - What is OpenGroupware
> - Comparison table between ogo and others
(phpgroupware, phpcollab, moregroupware, phprojekt, Communigate Pro,
Suse OpenExchange, Achievo ...)
> - Architecture description
(maybe one short and one longer more descriptive)
> - Document conventions
>
> ** Installation manual
(possibly to direct current doc efforts to a bin install as IMHO lot of
people would want to use the benefits of their distro's packaging system.)
>         - Prerequiseties
(* OGo architecture diagram/ metapackages connection. Which packages are
required/recommended/optional, their function/dependencies)
>         - Building Apache
>         - Building PostreSQL
>         - Building IMAP
(* choosing/comparsion of the IMAP server [uwimap, cyrus, courier])
> - Getting the sources
> - Building the parts
(hope src deb will get available. Build from tgz, src.deb, srpms)
> - Tieing them together
>
> ** Configuration manual
> * Part 1 Setting up the server
>         - Configuring Apache
(* basic setup, virtual hosts, SSL'ed hosts, securing Apache setup)
>         - Configuring PostgreSQL
>         - Configuring OpenLDAP
- configuring IMAP, (securing installation - may be as an separate
addendum directed to all parts of system installation. Something like
"best practices".)
>         - Etc.
> * Part 2 Setting up the client
>         - Outlook
>         - Netscape/Mozilla
>         - Etc.
>
> ** System administrator manual
>         - Log files
(did you mean description of log messages? Would be nice since some
error messages I saw make me just confused. Sometimes not helpfull
without knowing sources.)
>         - User administration
>         - Interface adjustments
(modifying design of page, adding/ modifying input fields in
contacts/enterprises. It's possible if I understood SKYRiX manual well)

- data backup (database, document repository ...)
- managing system defaults (Defaults write ..., *.plist files, list and
description of sys defaults)
- other system securing recommendations (as "use UPS", journalling fs
[as XFS], regular backups, ACL setup practices, possibly links to other
"securing howtos")

> ** User manual
>         - Introduction (logging in/UI/etc)
>         - Changing your settings
>         - Projectplanner
>         - ToDo-list
>         - E-mail
>         - Calendering
>         - News
>         - Palm sync
- contacts (new, import ...)

** Additional resources
- links to web (as bugzilla, docs web)
- mailing lists
- roadmap

** Troubleshooting (can't be missing ;) , may be one general for whole
doc or present in each subsection)

happy documenting,

Dan