List:       opengfs-users
Subject:    RE: [ogfs-users]OpenGFS viability
From:       "Cahill, Ben M" <ben.m.cahill () intel ! com>
Date:       2003-09-17 18:24:21

No, the failure case is not covered in the docs.  I remember some talk about using \
Linux-HA as a failover mechanism for the lock (storage) server (the daemon program is \
called memexpd), but I don't think anyone has investigated much.  IIRC, the whole \
cluster panics if the central lock storage server goes down.  Not good.

We are working on getting OpenDLM implemented as an alternative locking system.

More general comments on production-worthiness:  Recent testing shows that the \
filesystem is reasonably stable, but beware that the filesystem will panic if it gets \
full.  Also, performance is not nearly what the shared architecture should be capable \
of delivering.  We need to do some work to find out why.

If the number of folks who could contribute to the project were as high as the number \
of folks who want to use it, we could get things happening faster.  But it's a tough \
nut to crack ... a very complex system.  I've been hoping that documentation of \
internals would lower the entry barrier, but there's still a lot to learn.

-- Ben --

Opinions are mine, not Intel's